on orders over £25
Stoptober 2019 is here!
Stoptober, an annual campaign ran by Public Health England (PHE), is held every October and aims to get smokers to quit their habit for good. Here at 888 Vapour, we are passionate about helping members of the public to quit smoking through a variety of top-quality e-cigarette products and professional advice.
No matter how long you've been smoking for, it's never too late to quit. All of our staff members at 888 Vapour were smokers before being introduced to vaping, so we know first hand the steps needed to make a positive change in your life. Annual campaigns such as Stoptober are a fantastic way of quitting the habit for good, whilst also having a large number of resources on hand to help you along the way.
What is Stoptober?
Stoptober, which was launched back in 2012, is a campaign that runs throughout October every year by Public Health England. The aim of the campaign is to help current smokers quit using a variety of stop smoking services.
E-cigarettes were introduced to the Stoptober campaign back in 2017 after being announced as one of the most commonly reported stop smoking support outlets amongst previous Stoptober participants.
Following Public Health England's evidence review back in February 2018, they concluded that vaping poses only a small fraction of the risks of smoking, switching from smoking to vaping has huge health benefits and that e-cigarettes contribute to at least 20,000 successful new quits every year.
How can e-cigarettes help me to quit smoking?
Unlike traditional nicotine replacement therapy products such as nicotine patches and gum, e-cigarettes are one of the most popular aids to help individuals quit smoking. With an e-cigarette, you are still going through the process of inhaling nicotine in order to get a dose, but without directly smoking the carcinogens caused by burning tobacco.
No matter how popular e-cigarettes have become over the last few years, there is still some misunderstanding surrounding them. Against what you hear in the news, vaping is 95% less harmful than smoking (reported by Public Health England), and most of the harm to health from smoking are not caused by nicotine, but the thousands of chemicals found in tobacco smoke.
An e-cigarette is a device that allows you to inhale nicotine in a vapour rather than smoke. E-cigarettes don't burn tobacco and don't produce tar or carbon monoxide, two of the most damaging elements in tobacco smoke.
All e-liquids used in e-cigarettes consist of four simple ingredients:
- Propylene Glycol (PG) - an organic ingredient used in a range of products from medications to shampoo, toothpaste and even asthma inhalers. This is completely safe for human consumption.
- Vegetable Glycerin (VG) - a thick substance used in food production, medications, cosmetics and more. This ingredient is completely safe for human consumption and helps to give off huge clouds of vapour.
- Nicotine - depending on what e-liquids you purchase, there will be nicotine included. This comes in a wide variety of strengths, typically between 3mg and 18mg compared to a cigarette which contains around 12mg of nicotine.
- Flavourings - food grade flavour concentrates are used within e-liquids to help make them taste better and offer a variety of flavours for vapers.
The beauty of using vaping to quit smoking is that there is a wide range of e-cigarettes and e-liquids to choose from, so you can find the right product to suit your needs.
What happens when I quit smoking?
From the moment you quit smoking, your body starts the recovery process. As a smoker switching to an alternative such as e-cigarettes, you will soon be able to feel the difference.
- 20 Minutes - After 20 minutes of quitting smoking, your blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal.
- 8 Hours - Carbon monoxide levels in the blood reduce by half, and oxygen levels return to normal.
- 72 Hours - Breathing becomes easier, your bronchial tubes begin to relax and energy levels increase.
- 2-12 Weeks - Your circulation improves.
- 3-9 Months - Coughs, wheezing and breathing problems improve as lung function increases by up to 10%.
- 1 Year - Risk of a heart attack falls to half that of a smoker.
- 5 Years - Risk of a stroke is reduced to that of a non-smoker.
- 10 Years - Your risk of death from lung cancer falls to half that of a smoker.
Should I plan my quit attempt?
Having a plan in place for when you attempt Stoptober will help you to keep on track and remind you when you got involved. Ask yourself why you want to quit and be ready for the hurdles ahead of you.
Remember all the reasons why you're quitting.
What are your top five reasons for quitting? Is it to improve your health, cut down your spending, or anything else? These need to be personal for you to help remind you throughout the month of why you are attempting to quit.
How much does smoking cost you?
You can either write down how much you spend weekly on smoking or even download the Smokefree app to help you calculate your spending.
If you weren't to quit now, how much would you spend in the next 3, 5 or 10 years? Seeing these figures in front of you are always useful and with the money saved if you quit you can go out and treat yourself!
Prepare for the day you quit.
Having a start date that works around your schedule will set you off on a good start. Pick a specific date and make sure you don't have any cigarettes, tobacco or lighters on you.
You can reduce temptation by writing down what time you usually smoked, what you were doing at the time and how much you smoked. It's also best to avoid places where people around you might be smoking, as well as telling your friends and family so that they can help to support you along the way.
Getting used to not smoking.
When you quit smoking, your body will need time to re-adjust and recover. You're likely to experience withdrawal symptoms such as urges, irritability, difficulty concentrating and a cough or sore throat. These symptoms will usually pass between 2-4 weeks.
Handling the stress:
As with most things, it will take time for you to get used to not smoking. Here are some useful tips that can help:
- Be honest with yourself about how you are feeling
- Talk through your difficulties with a trusted friend or family member
- Do something you enjoy at least once a day
- Take time to relax
- Get plenty of sleep
- Remind yourself of the benefits of not smoking and why you quit in the first place
Coping with withdrawal symptoms:
The withdrawal symptoms that you experience during quitting smoking can be difficult, but remember that these are temporary and there are ways to manage them. Using stop smoking aids such as e-cigarettes can really help, especially when your cravings are getting the better of you. With an e-cigarette, you can use this whenever you feel the need to smoke, which will help to curb your cravings and relax. You can use stop smoking aids as much as you want for as long as you want until you feel confident that you won't go back to smoking.
What e-cigarettes and e-liquids should I use if I want to quit smoking?
If you are just about to quit smoking and would like to try an e-cigarette out to help with your cravings, we highly advise for you to start simple. There are plenty of starter kits available from 888 Vapour to help you get the most out of your quit attempt, from little pod systems to pen-style vapes.
You can find all of our starter kits here, and if you ever have any questions, feel free to contact the team on either our live chat, 01522 244880 or email@example.com. We'd advise a mouth-to-lung starter kit, as this helps to give you a similar inhale like a cigarette whilst still being able to use high nicotine e-liquids.
In terms of e-liquids to use as someone who is quitting smoking, we would always advise either the V4POUR e-liquid range or nicotine salts. The V4POUR range has over 40 flavours to choose from in 0mg, 3mg, 6mg, 12mg and 18mg strengths, and work perfectly in starter kits.
Nicotine salt e-liquids have a wide range of flavours available and typically come in 10mg or 20mg strength. Nicotine salts are slightly different from the V4POUR range, as they have a very smooth throat hit whilst vaping high nicotine strengths. These e-liquids can also be used in starter kits and pod systems, so you can choose any flavour that takes your fancy!
A traditional cigarette has around 12mg of nicotine, so it's important for you to choose the right nicotine strength to suit you. If you go too low, you'll end up vaping more - too high and you'll definitely feel it! Take a look below for a useful guide on how to choose the right strength for you:
- 18mg/ml - this strength is best for new vapers who were previous heavy smokers (up to around 30+ cigarettes a day).
- 12mg/ml - this strength is best for new vapers who were moderate-heavy previous smokers (around 20-30 cigarettes a day).
- 6mg/ml - this strength is best for vapers who were previous light-moderate smokers (around 10-20 cigarettes a day).
- 3mg/ml - this strength is best for vapers who have weaned themselves off of higher nicotine strengths or those who were previous light smokers (less than 10 cigarettes a day).
- 0mg/ml - this strength is best for vapers who still want to vape, but do not want to inhale any nicotine.
Please bear in mind that these are guidelines, and you can either increase or decrease the nicotine strength that you use depending on your cravings.
Are you already a vaper?
If you have already made the successful attempt to quit smoking, and know someone who would like to get involved in Stoptober, why not send them a referral link?
If you have a customer account with us, you're automatically enrolled in our loyalty scheme, which allows you to send referral links to your family and friends! Your friend or family member will receive a £5 voucher, and once they have placed an order, you will also receive £5 off on your next order! What better way to help them to quit than a lovely discount on a starter kit and e-liquids?!
Make sure to keep an eye on our website over the month, as we will also have a variety of special deals for Stoptober!