It's time for the biggest campaign in the vaping calendar, Vapril! Created by UKVIA (UK Vaping Industry Association), Vapril was implemented to provide specialist advice and support to help you make the right decisions about vaping and ensure a successful switchover from smoking.
This year is slightly different due to the Coronavirus lockdown, but don't fear! We're here to give you all the information you need about vaping and how to make the transition.
Did you know that today there are over 3 million vapers who were former smokers? According to One Poll research amongst nearly 2,000 adults, 72% of smokers who were aware of Vapril said that the campaign had influenced them to make the switch to vaping.
Facts not Fiction
Over the last couple of years, the vaping industry has been the centre of media attention due to the 'vaping-related deaths' occurring in the US. Although these deaths were extremely tragic, the facts were not necessarily correct, causing panic across the public within the UK.
Following the deaths in the US, it was found that these were caused by black market THC pods that contained Vitamin E Acetate - an ingredient that is not used in e-liquids sold across the UK. So if you're still apprehensive about the safety of e-cigarettes and e-liquids, take a look below for the top 10 facts about vaping.
1. "Perceptions of harm from vaping among smokers are increasingly incorrect and out of line with the evidence." - Public Health England Vaping Evidence Review, 2022
2. "Vaping is at least 95% less harmful than smoking." - Public Health England Vaping Evidence Review, 2021
3. "Nearly two thirds of vapers (68%) said that they never thought they would quit smoking until vaping came along." - One Poll Research, March 2023
4. "Within just one month of switching tobacco for electronic cigarettes, measures of blood vessel health, including blood pressure and stiffness of the arteries have started to improve." -British Heart Foundation/University of Dundee, November 2019
5. "In Local Stop Smoking Services, a standard e-cigarette was twice as effective at helping smokers to quit compared with the quitters' choice of combination nicotine replacement therapy (NRT)." - National Institute for Health Research/Cancer Research UK, February 2019
6. "The UK has some of the strictest regulations for e-cigarettes in the world under the Tobacco & Regulated Products Regulations 2016." - Public Health England, 2019
7. "E-cigarettes helped an additional 50-70,000 smokers in England to quit in a single year." - University College London, October 2019
8. "There have been no identified health risks of passive vaping to bystanders." - Public Health England Vaping Evidence Review, 2018
9. "Over 3m smokers have already used vaping to quit or reduce their smoking." - Action on Smoking and Health (ASH), 2020
10. "Smoking cigarettes cost around 3.5 times as much as using e-cigarettes." - Cancer Research UK, 2018
Making The Switch
If you're wanting to give vaping a try to quit smoking, you're in the right place! Vapril have partnered up with the New Nicotine Alliance to create their step-by-step switch on to vaping plan which is really easy to follow.
If you've made the decision to switch from smoking to vaping, it can all seem a little bit overwhelming, but there's no need to panic. If you know any friends or family members that already vape, have a chat with them to see if they can give you any advice or tips. There are also plenty of resources online from Facebook groups, YouTube channels and online forums such as Planet Of The Vapes which are goldmines when it comes to advice and support. Although they are still currently closed, you will also be able to pop into your local vape shop from Monday 12th April for expert advice, as well as getting a close-up look at all of the devices and e-liquids available.
Once you've done your research and have all of the information you need, it's time to find the best vape for you! We'd always recommend a starter kit for anyone making the switch, as they are super easy to use and will allow you to vape higher nicotine strengths if needed. We've compiled a list below of the best kits to go for if you're just starting out:
We know that vaping lingo can be hard to understand, so take a look at the infographic below which gives you an overview of how vape devices work!
Once you've found the kit you would like to use, it's time to move onto e-liquid! Vaping is extremely flexible due to the large number of flavours and nicotine strengths available. Firstly, you will want to choose what nicotine strength you are going to need for your e-liquid, and this should mirror your current smoking habits.
Although you may start on a certain nicotine strength, it doesn't mean that you have to use that for life! One of the advantages of vaping is that you can adjust your nicotine strength as and when you like. The majority of vapers will start on a higher strength, and gradually reduce it as time goes on. You may find that on some days your cravings are more intense, so you may need to vape a higher nicotine strength. Remember that there's no time limit on this, listen to what your body is telling you and what feels right.
Once you've chosen your nicotine strength, it's time to browse through flavours! From fruits, menthols, mints, desserts, drinks, tobaccos and more, there is always plenty of choice when it comes to finding the right flavour for you. As a previous smoker, you may feel as though a tobacco flavour would be suitable, but this isn't always the case. 30% of vapers recommend using mint flavours, but this is completely down to personal preference. Experimenting with a variety of flavours is the best way to find which one you enjoy the most, which also helps in the long run when it comes to successfully quitting.
If you're using a starter kit, we can highly recommend the V4 VAPOUR e-liquid range, which has over 50 flavours to choose from in 5 different strengths (0mg, 3mg, 6mg, 12mg and 18mg). The best part? You can buy 5 bottles for £10!
Now that you've got your device and your e-liquid, it's time to start vaping! Exercising patience is key when it comes to successfully quitting.
It's always important to remember that vaping is not smoking - smokers binge on nicotine, while vaping is more like grazing. Vaping delivers less nicotine than the huge blast you get from a cigarette, so you may find that vaping takes time to get used to, as you're 'sipping' on nicotine rather than binging on a quick smoke break.
Everyone is different when it comes to making the switch as some may transition a lot quicker than others, and that's okay. Don't forger that you have plenty of habits and smoking cues to break, so have patience and stick with it! It's also useful to establish your routine when it comes to switching, and evaluate how you are getting on after a couple of weeks. If you're still struggling, chatting to friends and family or contacting your local vape store can be extremely helpful, as they can pass on any advice and tips.
The last part of step 3 is to ensure that you never run out of charge. It's important to keep an eye on your device's battery level, as you don't want to get caught out whilst out and about! Carrying your e-liquid and spare coils is also advisable, to make sure you're never left vape-less in the event that your tank runs out of juice, or your coil burns out!
Now that you've been introduced to the world of vaping, it's time to make that permanent switch! You may experience some slip ups, and that's totally fine - don't beat yourself up if this happens as this is a process. Following these key points will give you the best chances of successfully quitting smoking:
- Research: Always get as much advice as you can to help guide your vaping journey.
- Experiment: Don't be afraid to try different flavours and nicotine strengths - this will enable you to find the best e-liquid that works for you.
- Be Patient: Giving your new vaping regime time to bed in will make success more likely.
- Stay Switched: Give vaping time to replace smoking in your life, and if you slip up and have a cigarette, don't worry. If that happens try increasing your nicotine strength or try a new flavour or device.
Don't forget that we'll have plenty of offers and a giveaway throughout the month, so make sure to keep an eye on our social media and website!